Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Nothing Half-Assed About It

OK so here's my story about the eye patch that I mentioned in my last post. But I would first like to preface with saying that I am not a hypochondriac. I've worried about this a lot and have asked several doctors but they all say I'm not. And since they're the ones with all the fancy degrees and such I think I should just believe them... Right?

About 2 or 3 months ago my left eye started to get really watery all the time and this last month and a half it's gotten really bad. Like where I go through a half box of tissues a day kind of bad. Which is really a pain at work when I'm trying to help a customer and tears start dropping down my cheek, ya know? A couple Saturdays ago it started to really piss me off so I went to Lens Crafters. The doctor examined my eye and said I have a blocked tear duct. He explained how they fix it and I'm thinking, hey sweet! That sounds easy enough. They just numb your eye, make an itty bitty incision in your tear duct and stick some needle thing in there and jam it around til the duct is clear. The only sort of recuperation is wearing an eye patch for a few hours.

So I scheduled my appointment for last Thursday with the eye surgeon to get the little procedure done. After all kinds of poking around, numbing my eye, making tiny incisions in my tear ducts, and squirting water into my eyeball, wouldn't you know it? I have to get full on eye surgery. My tear duct is completely blocked by scar tissue or some crap and it'll just get worse if I don't fix it.

The thing is though, the surgery isn't as easy-peasy as the other procedure. With this I'd have to take 5 days off work, wear an eye patch for like a week, have a black eye for about 2-3 weeks and not blow my nose for the first several days. It's not the kind of surgery where they put you under or anything. They'd just give me some Valium or something and numb the eye. Then they make an incision (I don't remember where) and put a tube in my tear duct. My hesitation with all this though is the whole part about not being able to blow my nose. That was the part that was kind of a deal breaker for me. But I guess we'll see.

Boy, when I get any sort of physical condition I sure do go full force with it. But hey, at least I can say there's actually something in this world I don't do half-assed, right? This is where you nod your head and say in your most supportive voice, 'Right Suz. At least you've got perseverance!'

I'll keep you posted on whether or not I decide to get the surgery done. As for now, well I'm off to New Mexico tomorrow morning and I am SO excited!! Let's just hope I make it back in one piece... but who are we kidding? What are the odds of that?

4 comments:

Natalie said...

Have FUNNNNN in NM!!! Woohoo I know you've been looking forward to it and I hope it is awesome. I love that the nose blowing is the one thing holding you back. Really?

JoAnna said...

Holy carazy!!! Nutso! Who does this happen too? I mean, really?

have fun on your trip!

Sara said...

why does everything happen to YOU?!?!?! I would be more concerned about the black eye. Clearly you aren't as vain as I am.

Mom - Monica said...

poor poor Sus.../hug